- 1 Reverse Sear Ribeye
- 1.1 What is a steak?
- 1.2 What types of steak are there?
- 1.3 So how do I choose my ribeye?
- 1.4 How to choose my cooking method?
- 1.5 What am I going to need?
- 1.6 How to reverse sear a ribeye?
- 1.7 The benefits of cooking reverse-seared ribeye.
- 1.8 What marinades go with a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 1.9 What are the best spices to use on a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 1.10 What sauces can you serve with a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 1.11 What side do dishes go well with reverse-seared ribeye?
- 1.12 What drinks go well with a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 1.13 Common mistakes when cooking a reverse-seared ribeye.
- 1.14 How to store a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 2 FAQs
- 2.1 Can you reverse sear a thin steak?
- 2.2 How do you reduce smoke when searing?
- 2.3 How long should you sear a steak?
- 2.4 What happens if you cook a ribeye too long?
- 2.5 When should I cook a reverse-seared ribeye?
- 2.6 What’s the best way to cook ribeye?
- 2.7 Is reverse sear better than searing first?
- 2.8 What are the nutrition facts of a ribeye?
- 2.9 Is reverse sear healthy?
- 2.10 Can you use a flanken cut with reverse sear?
- 2.11 Can you eat steaks every day?
- 2.12 What are the temperature guidelines for a ribeye?
- 2.13 How long can ribeye be left out?
- 3 Conclusion
Reverse Sear Ribeye
Steak is one of the most popular dishes in Western cuisine. Depending on the type, steak can be beef, pork, chicken, or fish. When talking about steak, it actually refers to meat cut into thin strips which are then grilled or fried with different spices. There are many types of steak, but the most famous are rib-eye, pepper strip, and sirloin steaks.
It is not necessary to have just one kind of meat, people usually use a combination for the best result taste-wise. Note that all these cuts come from different anatomical parts although they belong to the same cow. This article will show you how to cook a ribeye with the reverse sear method.
What is a steak?
Steak is a cut of meat, usually beef but it could be pork, chicken, or fish that is cut into thin strips and then fried using a variety of spices. The steak is the most famous dish in Western cuisine and people love to eat grilled or fried meat with different spices.
What types of steak are there?
There are many types of steak: rib-eye, filet mignon, pepper strip, and sirloin steaks. All these types come from different parts of the cow which means they all have their own specific taste.
Rib-eye steak: This type of steak is one of the most popular, it consists of meat cut from ribs. Ribeye is what we call “pound” or “minute” which means that this cut will take less time to cook than other steaks. This makes it perfect for people who are always in a rush and want to enjoy their meal as soon as possible. It has a large amount of fat (marbling) which gives it an awesome flavor but make sure to remove excess oil before you try to cook it up.
Filet mignon: Filet Mignon is the most tender cut on any cow and has a little bit of a sweet note, can you believe it? Anyway, keep in mind that this type of steak is the most expensive out of all. The magic word here is fat or marbling, so make sure you buy the fattiest piece you can find if you want to enjoy a delicious steak.
Pepper strip steak: The pepper strip steak is quite similar in taste and texture to the rib-eye, it has more flavors than the other cuts because it comes from different parts of the cow. It consists of meat cut from ribs, which means this cut will take less time to cook than other steaks. This makes it perfect for people who are always in a rush and want to enjoy their meal as soon as possible. It has a large amount of fat (marbling) which gives it an awesome flavor but make sure to remove excess oil before you try to cook it up.
Sirloin steak: Sirloin or tenderloin is one of the most popular types of steak and definitely the healthiest. It consists of meat cut from sirloin which means this cut will take more time to cook than other steaks. This makes it perfect for people who do not want their meal ready right away and enjoy every bite really slowly. Sirloin does not have a lot of fat (marbling) so some dishes might lack flavor if your recipe does not include any spices along with the meat.
Skirt steak: Skirt steak is one of the cheapest types of steaks and is great for people on a tight budget. It’s cut from beef flank which means this type will take less time to cook than other cuts. This makes it perfect for people who are always in rush and want to enjoy their meal as soon as possible. Skirt Steak does not have a lot of fat (marbling) so some dishes might lack flavor if your recipe does not include any spices along with the meat.
Flank steak: The flank steak is cut from beef (usually) which means this cut will take less time to cook than other cuts. This makes it perfect for people who are always in rush and want to enjoy their meal as soon as possible. Be aware that the cheapest pieces of meat will come from the tougher and tastier areas like ribs and skirts, but there’s no need to worry because you can prepare these pieces with an effective method like Reverse-Sear or sous vide cooking to make them tender and delicious.
So how do I choose my ribeye?
Choosing your steak can be tricky so here are some things you should look at when picking the meat you want:
Age of the animal: The cow’s age will affect his taste. Younger cows have more flavors due to their diet while older cows will be more tasteless.
Different kinds of cows: The cow’s breed will affect his taste. For example, Angus beef has a great flavor and texture while Wagyu will have the best flavor.
Cut of meat: The cut of steak will determine how easy it is to chew, but also how much fat (marbling) there is on the piece you want to buy.
Marbling: Marbling or intramuscular fat is a type of white or yellow deposit that lies between the muscles in most parts of the cow.
These deposits make sure that your meat tastes amazing by transferring all its flavors from one part to another throughout the cut.
How to choose my cooking method?
All these factors will affect how you should cook your ribeye. Nowadays, choosing the perfect cut is not enough to have a delicious meal. When you are cooking your ribeye at home, don’t forget to use these simple techniques so your dinner can be as good as the ones served inexpensive restaurants:
- Reverse-Sear method – This method is perfect for cuts with large quantities of fat (marbling) to make your meat tender, juicy and delicious.
- Sous vide cooking – This advanced technique will help you cook your steak at a precise temperature to get it medium-rare if that’s what you want. Be aware that if you don’t have a sous vide machine at home, the results won’t be the same. Of course, this process takes longer than other methods so it’s not suitable for busy people who are always in rush.
- Pan-frying – This traditional method can transfer flavors from one part of the steak to another but be careful not to burn any parts when using this technique because it will definitely damage your meat.
- Grilling – This method is perfect for cuts with large quantities of fat (marbling) to make your meat tender, juicy and delicious.
- Broiling – This traditional method can transfer flavors from one part of the steak to another but be careful not to burn any parts when using this technique because it will definitely damage your meat.
- Hanging Tenderization- A new vie on how you should prepare a dish that might seem a little bit old-fashioned but still has its place in modern menus: hanging tenderization, a French culinary technique which was created by Chef André Daguin in 1946. It’s an easy way to get the best taste out of your beef.
With all these methods you will be able to make sure your steak is tender and delicious, but don’t forget to let it rest for a few minutes after taking it off the heat. This will help keep all its juices inside of the meat instead of spilling out on your plate.
What am I going to need?
Well, besides a good cut of beef that matches your cooking method, you are going to need some cooking equipment like a grill or an oven so you can prepare your steak indoors easier.
Let’s add some spices to the list too because they add great flavors even if you choose not to use any sauce or gravy on top of your dish. You should also have some tongs, spatula, and forks in your cooking area to make your preparation process easier. Don’t forget some kitchen towels to make clean-up easy, and finally some fridge space for the meat.
How to reverse sear a ribeye?
If you want to avoid the smoke and smell of an open fire for this perfect cut, then read on because here are all the steps you need to take in order to have the most delicious meat ever.
First things first – seasoning:
The first thing you should worry about is how your steak tastes. Use some salt and pepper before placing your ribeye inside your oven. Don’t forget that this is also a good opportunity to season all sides evenly so it’s done with just one move.
Then, cook it upside down:
After seasoning your steak, place its fat side up inside your oven at 225 degrees Fahrenheit (around 107 Celsius). It takes around 30 minutes for a 1-inch thick piece of beef but if you have a thicker cut you should add some more time.
The next step is to sear it from the top:
After 30 minutes, flip your steak and cook it in a skillet with a generous amount of vegetable oil in order for the meat to caramelize in just a few minutes. If you have an open flame stovetop, then be extra vigilant when doing this step because there might be flare-ups that could burn the meat.
Finally, let it rest:
Let your steak rest on a plate so the juices can redistribute evenly inside of it before slicing and serving it. Remember that these steps are enough to cook any type of ribeye but if you want your meat even tastier, try adding things like garlic, thyme, Parmesan cheese, or béarnaise sauce.
The benefits of cooking reverse-seared ribeye.
- The first benefit is it doesn’t matter if you are cooking indoors or outdoors because the results will be similar either way.
- Cooking your steak from the top down also gives it a crispy texture, making this method perfect for anyone who likes their meat well-done but tender inside.
- Another good thing about this method is that cooking a ribeye upside down helps all its fat melt and drip off making your dish healthier and tastier at the same time.
- This technique also allows you to flip your steak just once during cooking which makes it easier for busy people because they don’t have to worry about flipping again after 30 minutes of baking in order to cook both sides evenly.
- Because you are cooking the steak from the top down, it helps any sauces you decide to use on top penetrate better into the meat. You should definitely try out béarnaise sauce or garlic butter if you want your dish even tastier.
- Finally, this is one of the best ways to prepare a ribeye for people who like their steak rare because by only flipping it once while cooking, its middle won’t get overcooked and dry making it perfect for anyone who likes preserving all its juices inside while still keeping it very tender and moist on the outside.
What marinades go with a reverse-seared ribeye?
The first thing to consider when it comes to picking a marinade for your ribeye is how strong the flavor should be. Steak sauce and other condiments are perfect if you want your dish to remain subtle because these ingredients will only add deeper flavors but won’t take over the meat’s taste.
On the other hand, if you love stronger flavors then citrus juices like lime or lemon might be just what you need to enjoy all their boldness in combination with the beefiness of your steak. If you want something even more powerful then try using soy sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, or garlic oil because they are known for adding deep flavors that make dishes tastier no matter what meat you decide to use them on. To make sure your marinade turns out great, here are some combinations you can go for:
– Honey – This ingredient helps the meat stay juicy and adds sweetness to beef which makes it taste a lot better. However, keep in mind that honey will caramelize a bit faster than other ingredients so you’ll have to compensate by turning down your heat or adding more water instead if possible.
– Soy sauce – If you want to add some saltiness along with other flavors then this is one of the best options you can choose from because soy sauce adds umami to the dish’s flavor profile creating something even more delicious.
– Lemon – A great way to add acidity and sourness at the same time while also dropping some flavors that are unique from this fruit. There is no need for you to worry about lemon juice changing your beef’s texture because all it does is work as an emulsifier which means it doesn’t alter meat’s texture at all. On the contrary, this ingredient makes your steak stay juicy even when it starts getting dried out.
– Soy sauce, garlic, ginger – This may be one of the best marinades for reverse-seared steak because it combines several different flavors in order to create something even more delicious than ever before. However, if you don’t want too much garlic then you should consider adding more ginger on top of your beef because it will make its flavors pop.
– Honey, garlic, soy sauce – Do you love sweet marinades? If so then this might be the best thing for you. Keep in mind that if you decide to use honey on top of soy sauce then there is no need for you to add any water because all the liquid will evaporate during the cooking process making everything even tastier than before.
– French dressing, steak rub – This is one of the best things that can happen when two different products are combined into one single dish which is why we recommend trying out this marinade at least once in your life. Just keep in mind that even though olive oil and vinegar are very healthy for you, they are considered inflammatory so if you have sensitive skin then this might not be an option for you.
What are the best spices to use on a reverse-seared ribeye?
When it comes to adding some spices with beef there are many different options that you can choose from. However before adding any type of spices to your dish make sure that they’re appropriate enough because even though cayenne pepper is delicious, it’s not always the best ingredient for everyone. That being said here are several products that will help enhance ou flavor profile while also making everything more nutritious:
– Salt – Keep in mind that there needn’t be too much of this product added because it will increase your sodium levels, however, if you want to bring out more flavor profiles while turning down the heat then this is the best option for you.
– Pepper – Pepper goes perfectly well with beef and it’s also one of the cheapest products on the market so there is no need for you to worry about its price whatsoever. Plus if you add pepper in combination with salt it’ll help enhance the taste even further so why not use something that works great?
– Rosemary – If you love having a bit of tanginess along with nice herbs then rosemary should definitely find its way into your barbecue sauce. This product adds a lot of flavor without altering texture too much which means that it can be added either directly onto meat or inside marinade.
– Mustard powder – If you want to make your own steak rub then mustard powder should be one of the first things that you consider adding in because it works great during the summertime especially if you like having barbecues while chilling on the terrace. However, keep in mind that this product is very spicy so if you don’t like too much heat inside of your food then this might not be an option for you.
– Chili pepper – If you enjoy spiciness then chili pepper is definitely made for you since it will provide your meat with some heat. Plus, even though fresh chili peppers are tasty, they’re also very healthy which means that if cooked properly they can do a lot more good than bad.
– Paprika – If you love strong flavor profiles then paprika is definitely one of the best things that you can add to your dish. Plus, if you decide to use it in order to create your own spice rub then be sure to use it in combination with salt and pepper for best results.
– Garlic powder – Garlic has been used in different cuisines since ancient times because it adds an amazing flavor profile which will make all meat dishes even tastier than before. However, keep in mind that garlic also contains inflammatory properties so if you have sensitive skin then this might not be the best product for you.
What sauces can you serve with a reverse-seared ribeye?
There are many different sauces that you can use to enhance the flavor of your ribeye, however, some of them are definitely better than others. Nonetheless here are several suggestions that will help you create delicious marinades all by yourself next time you try out this recipe:
– Mushroom sauce – If you want something with a thick consistency then the mushroom sauce is definitely worth considering because it works great on top of meat dishes without altering their final taste. However, keep in mind that if you plan on using it as a marinade then it might take too long for mushrooms to fully cook inside the meat so they might become unappetizing after some time.
– Barbecue sauce – Barbeque sauce has been used for many years by most grill masters because it adds amazing flavor even though there are hundreds of different recipes that you can use to create this product out of scratch. Plus, if you don’t want spicy barbecue sauce then be sure to check with your local supermarket in order to see if they have some sweet-medium or mild-hot kinds available so that you can pick the right one.
– Honey mustard – Honey mustard sauce is definitely made for barbecue-lovers since it’s very common, however, keep in mind that if you marinate meat with this product then your meat might become too sweet after some time.
– Teriyaki sauce – If you want something more Japanese in style then teriyaki sauce should definitely be a candidate for the top spot on this list because it provides meat with amazing flavor without being too overwhelming in terms of taste. Plus, if you use a high-quality soy sauce and add enough brown sugar in order to balance everything out, then you can create a product that will have amazing results every time you’ll try it out.
What side do dishes go well with reverse-seared ribeye?
As you can see, there are many different side dishes that go great with a reverse-seared ribeye, however, here are some ideas that will help you decide what to serve inside of your dinner.
– Baked potatoes – If you like good old fashion baked potatoes then they’re definitely worth considering as a side dish especially since they’re very filling and delicious as well. Plus, if you want to make sure that it’s really tasty then feel free to season your potatoes with garlic powder and place them on top of the oven for around 40 minutes in order to allow excess water to evaporate.
– Green vegetables – Vegetables such as broccoli and green beans will also provide amazing flavor because they turn out crispy and crunchy after you roast them for around 15 minutes depending on your oven.
– Baked vegetables – Vegetables such as zucchinis, carrots or tomatoes have a lot of water inside of them so they’re perfect for roasting in combination with some olive oil and seasoning salt. Plus, be sure to check the time because sometimes veggies can require up to an hour before you serve them alongside your beef.
– Cheese fries – If you want to go the extra mile then throw some cheese fries inside of your oven as well because potatoes coated with cheddar cheese will definitely taste better than ever before especially if you use a good quality sharp cheese.
What drinks go well with a reverse-seared ribeye?
Drinks are always a great addition to any meal as long as you know what type of drinks will go well with your food. Here are some excellent suggestions:
– Beer – Beer is definitely one of the most common beverages people use while eating barbecued food because it goes great together, however, keep in mind that if you want to drink beer then avoid using dark stouts or porters since these products have a lot of strong flavors that might influence taste. Instead, go for something light and refreshing such as an American pale ale or pilsner which is usually very tasty without being overwhelming.
– Cider – Apple cider is also perfect for barbecue sessions especially if you add some spices in order to give it an extra boost of flavor. Plus, you should also know that cider usually goes great with desserts so if you serve some ice cream or cake after your dinner then it will definitely be one of the best combinations ever made.
– Water – If beer or cider is not for you then go with water that has been infused with lemon juice because this beverage won’t have an overwhelming taste and it can be refreshing at the same time.
– Wine – Some people prefer to use wine instead of other beverages, however, this product requires a lot more attention because there are many different wines out there to choose from depending on what type of food you want to eat. For example, if you pick something light such as chardonnay then chances are high that you will like the taste, however, if you go with red wine then it might be a little bit overwhelming especially if the beef is too spicy.
Common mistakes when cooking a reverse-seared ribeye.
Even though a reverse-seared ribeye is an excellent dish to make for dinner, you should always remember that it requires a lot of attention in order to be perfect and these mistakes can interfere with the overall experience:
– Using too little oil – One of the biggest mistakes you can make is using too little oil because this ingredient will prevent your beef from sticking to a pan or grill which can ruin the whole cooking process. As a general rule, don’t use less than 2 tablespoons of oil and you will be just fine.
– Using too little salt – Too much salt is bad for health, however, if you’re going to cook a ribeye then it might be worth considering salting things up before they go inside of an oven or on a grill especially since salt plays an important role when enhancing flavor. In fact, it’s recommended that you add at least 1 teaspoon of salt per pound which should turn out as enough for most cases.
– Not resting – Resting a reverse-seared ribeye is crucial especially if you want the flavors to mix together perfectly which means that you have to rest it for at least 5 minutes before serving or eating it. If you don’t have time then cover the beef with foil in order to help it stay warm for longer.
How to store a reverse-seared ribeye?
Even though you cannot keep a reverse-seared ribeye for too long, it’s still possible to store the beef if needed so here are some guidelines on how to properly do that:
– Store in the refrigerator – If you want to store your beef then go with placing it in the fridge and make sure that the meat is wrapped well before putting it inside of a refrigerator. Remember that raw meat can remain fresh when stored like this for up to 3 days or maybe more depending on several different factors. Some people don’t realize it but leaving raw meat out at room temperature for longer than necessary can be very bad since bacteria can start developing after several hours which might lead to spoilage.
– Freeze – Yes, you can freeze a reverse-seared ribeye but it’s not recommended due to the fact that some negative effects might be triggered once you do this. For example, the beef will turn out dry and tasteless compared to when it was consumed fresh which is why you should try avoiding freezing unless there are no other options available.
Can you reverse sear a thin steak?
Yes, you can reverse sear a thin steak but it’s recommended to use thick-cut ribeyes for this purpose since thin steaks are more vulnerable to overcooking.
How do you reduce smoke when searing?
In order to reduce the amount of smoke that’s produced when searing a ribeye then you should add some extra oil in a pan or use a cast-iron skillet since it will help direct heat and prevent any possible smoke from forming.
How long should you sear a steak?
The time needed to sear a ribeye depends on the cut itself, the thickness of the meat, and other essential factors so it can vary from 10 minutes to half an hour or more. Cooking time will largely depend on how you like your steak done.
What happens if you cook a ribeye too long?
If you cook a ribeye for longer than intended then it might end up overcooked which means tougher meat and less flavor.
When should I cook a reverse-seared ribeye?
Cooking a reverse-seared ribeye is recommended when you want to make something special and definitely not an everyday thing. A perfect time to do this would be during holidays or on birthdays since it’s worth trying once in a while at least. If you do decide to make such a meal then drop us some feedback and let us know how it came out.
What’s the best way to cook ribeye?
The best way to cook a ribeye is by using a method that allows you to control the temperature and make sure it is not too high which can ruin your beef. One of such methods is reverse searing and we highly recommend trying it out at least once since it will allow you to achieve maximum flavor and quality.
Is reverse sear better than searing first?
The difference between reverse searing and regular searing is that the first one allows you to cook the beef from both sides at once while regular searing requires cooking it first on one side then flipping the meat over to cook it from the other side. Both methods are great but reverse searing is preferred by many since you can get more flavor this way due to the fact that both sides of beef are exposed to heat.
What are the nutrition facts of a ribeye?
Some nutrition facts about a ribeye steak are that it contains protein, iron, magnesium, sodium, and selenium. In 100 grams of beef, you will get around 70-100 calories depending on the cut you use and several other factors such as how it’s been prepared.
Is reverse sear healthy?
Reverse seared steak is not unhealthy since it’s generally made from high-quality cuts of beef however if it’s cooked for too long then some negative effects might start appearing. This method allows you to enjoy a great-tasting meal without having to worry about its nutritional value or possible negative effects that can occur after consuming it.
Can you use a flanken cut with reverse sear?
Yes, you can use a flanken cut with reverse sear since it doesn’t really matter which cut you choose and there’s no need to worry about its taste and flavor.
Can you eat steaks every day?
You can eat steaks every day if they are prepared correctly but eating too much of this meat might pose certain health risks. For example, having steak on a daily basis might lead to increased cholesterol levels in the blood which in turn increases the risk of heart disease and other factors that negatively impact your health in general.
What are the temperature guidelines for a ribeye?
The temperature guidelines for a good steak are as follows: rare – 125-130°F, medium rare – 130-140°F, medium – 140-150°F, and well done – 150+°F. Note that the recommended internal temperature for steaks is different depending on where you live so make sure to check with your local authorities if you want to be 100% safe regarding your health.
How long can ribeye be left out?
If you leave a ribeye for too long then it might start getting dry and lose some of its quality. This is especially true if you plan on eating it within 2 hours since, after that, the beef starts to deteriorate which means that it’s no longer safe to eat or at least not as safe as before. Make sure to eat your steak as soon as possible unless you are planning on freezing or refrigerating it.
In conclusion, a reverse-seared ribeye is one of the best steaks you can have as long as it’s prepared correctly and not overcooked. This method allows you to achieve maximum flavor due to the fact that both sides of beef are exposed to heat which makes it taste even better than regular steaks.
Also, keep in mind that you should use high-quality meat for this method since lower quality cuts might end up getting overcooked or even burned which will result in tough meat that has less flavor. Hope this article was helpful and you learned something new about cooking reverse-seared steaks.
I’m Aubrey Golden, and I love barbecue. There’s nothing that brings people together quite like a good meal, and I take pride in being able to cook for friends and family. Whether it’s smoking meat on the pit, firing up the grill, or cooking up a storm in the kitchen, I enjoy trying new things and experimenting with flavors.
I’ve been working in operations management for a while now, and I love it. It’s challenging and ever-changing, which keeps me on my toes. But my true passion is creating content – whether it’s writing articles, filming videos, or taking photos – I love sharing my knowledge and experiences with others.